Furniture made of cardboard is a great alternative if ordinary furniture is too expensive for you! Tables, chairs and sofas can be made from cardboard with your own hands! Such a mundane thing as cardboard, which weOften, without hesitation, throwing away with the rest of the garbage can be an excellent material for building good furniture. Of course, you can assume that such interior items will be fragile and easily bend under the weight of the objects placed on it, but this can and should be avoided by properly processing the cardboard. The content of the article:
Advantages of cardboard furniture
In such furniture, the mass of positive advantages:
- Stylish design. You can design for your home any thing, based only on your own taste or preferences of relatives;
- Thrift. Spend quite a bit of money to buy the necessary tools, and you don’t have to spend money on delivery / installation;
- Mobility. With a light, at the time of folding furniture moving will not be your nightmare - you will only be in the joy of collecting things in a new life;
- Ergonomic. No need to walk around the endless store in search of “the very thing” that will attract you at the same time, fit into the interior and be comfortable - now you can combine these three qualities;
- Security. In cardboard furniture there are absolutely no harmful and dangerous elements - after all, you make furniture out of the boxes with your own hands, which means you check and see all the components;
- Environmental friendliness. Furniture has lost its former appearance and attractiveness, or you decide to change the design - just disassemble it and put it in a package. You can, without worrying, throw out, and you can use for lighting a fire for kebabs - cardboard does not harm the environment!
- Strength. With proper processing of cardboard furniture from it will last a very long time.
Despite the large number of advantages,One piece of cardboard furniture is extremely unpleasant, the peculiarity is that when it is in a humid environment, the furniture deteriorates and becomes unusable. Take into account this fact and always remove the cardboard furniture from the street, otherwise a sudden rain may cause it to become unusable.
Tools and materials for manufacturing
What is needed for making furniture from cardboard with your own hands? Unchanged materials will be:
- Packaging carton / carton boxes - you can ask for boxes in the store or search for homes from purchased equipment;
- Plain and colored tape, paper tape, double-sided tape;
- Clerical knife for cutting cardboard (watch out for the sharpness of the blades and change as you dull);
- Sharp scissors;
- Dull knife;
- Roulette / iron ruler;
- Pencil and Eraser;
- Glue (PVA, hot glue, glue for wallpaper, liquid “moment” - depending on the situation, but sometimes you can do it with scotch tape);
- Sandpaper (with it you will grind cardboard slices);
- Kraft paper (white and dark) and tracing paper.
Types of cardboard For the manufacture of furniture made of cardboarddo it yourself will need a different cardboard, depending on the situation. Cardboard can be single-, double- and three-layered, depending on the number of layers, consisting, in turn, of small waves, which can be seen on a cardboard cut. The larger the cardboard layers with waves, the thicker the cardboard. Also, do not forget to identify the sides of the cardboard before you start:
- smooth (sometimes with drawings) side - front,
- rough - purl.
To reinforce the edges of the cardboard furniture useKraft paper of dark color, sizing it all seams, using wallpaper glue. White paper (or tracing paper) stick on all the furniture - it facilitates the decoration of furniture. Remember: Kraft paper and tracing paper before gluing must be torn by hand, not cut! How to make furniture made of cardboard more durable Depending on the purpose of the object (whether it is a chest for children's toys or a TV stand), the cardboard is strengthened in different ways. For a more reliable and durable fastening it is necessary to remember the following:
- For the strength of the cardboard and its protection from moisture, use parquet lacquer, putting it on the already finished and decorated pieces of furniture;
- Try to make the furniture symmetrical - it is more stable than the furniture of irregular shape;
- If you make asymmetrical furniture, then add to it more supports for the fortress;
- The more cross pieces your furniture has, the more stable it is;
- To give more strength to your design,use cunning - make two layers of cardboard on all elements of furniture. But, attention, the layers should be different: one layer should have horizontal waves, another one should have vertical waves;
- Light cardboard is less durable than dark;
- The thicker the cardboard, the stronger it is.
How to use cardboard furniture
How to properly use the furniture made of cardboard made by hand So that your cardboard new clothes served faithfully for a long time do not forget that:
- Furniture made of cardboard is afraid of humidity (varnish will not save from rain);
- Use it for its intended purpose: if you made a table for letters / keys / trifle, do not put a bulky pot with a flower on it;
- Make sure that there are no open fires near the cardboard furniture (be it a fireplace, a fire or even a cigarette) - you can lose not only an interior item, if you allow a fire hazard situation.
How to make cardboard furniture with your own hands, ifonly a casket comes to mind? ? We are in a hurry to surprise you - you can make a lot of amazing things out of cardboard, harmoniously matching the interior, from the nursery to the hallway, and if you are completely overwhelmed with inspiration, then there are plenty of ideas for the office and the country house. Below you will see how to make furniture from cardboard with your own hands using patterns and schemes. Choose for the first time something not too complicated to master the technique of manufacturing. Important! When designing furniture, remember that decorating furniture will take 0.6 cm, and always add these centimeters when counting sizes.
Master class number 1: Stand for shoes made of cardboard
We decided to simplify your task - we set up the first master class that anyone can assemble. So, armed with all the necessary items, let's start. Step 1
Step 2 You can do any numbertriangles. To secure the shelves, take whole sheets of cardboard and glue triangles to them with double-sided tape or PVA. You can put a piece of cardboard on the very top and put on high boots.
Master class number 2: Cardboard bookshelf
Step 1 Take long, not wide sheets of cardboard -Part of the sheets will go to the vertical bases, so they should be a little longer, in general, the size of the sheets can be any, at your discretion. You can search for such sheets in hardware stores - it happens that they throw out exactly with such cuts. If not found, take one-piece (no curvature!) Sheets and measure for the line for the cuts so that on all sheets they coincide when they are inserted into each other. Step 2 If you take thick cardboard sheets, then when joining them together they will hold tightly and without additional funds. Thin sheets can be fixed with hot melt; it dries quickly, so you will need to act quickly when joining sheets. After connecting the sheets, you can already use the shelf.
Master class number 3: Suspended shelf for shoes
Master class number 4: Stand under the laptop do it yourself
Practically each of us has an irreplaceabletool for work and communication - a laptop. And we have to buy all sorts of peripherals (mouse, flash drives, removable hard drives, etc.). And so, when there is a desire to put it on a stand for convenience, we are forced to go to the store and spend extra money. For those who want to avoid unnecessary expenses, but do not want to give up the stand, there is an excellent way out - to make it with your own hands. And how to do it - you will read in this article. Materials and tools:
- Laptop to measure the size of the stand;
- several sheets of paper or newspaper for stencil;
- thick cardboard for the stand itself (you can use an unnecessary box);
- Long ruler;
- marker or pencil;
- large scissors or stationery knife.
You already understood that no special materialswe do not need - all of the above probably is in any home. Getting to the manufacture. Step 1. Take a paper or newspaper and spread it on a flat surface. It is better to perform all actions on measuring the dimensions of the stand and making a stencil on the principle “measure seven times, cut once”, because at best, the stand will be curved, and at worst, it will not hold the notebook.
- We measure up from the edges of the segment 4 cm and 7 cm. We trace the rectangle.
- Mentally divide the rectangle into 3 parts: the first third is almost a straight line at a height of 4 cm, the second third - with a mold or hand we make a bend at an angle of 45 degrees to the 7 cm line;
- All this is simple and clearly shown in the photo (det.1). At the place of contact between the two curved lines, a narrow sleeve is made - at this place there will be a cutout to align parts.
Step 2. The same photo shows the pattern of the legs of the stand (part 2). The angle of the stand you select, based on personal preference. From this will be the height of the right and left side of the legs. When drawing a template for legs, pay attention to the cloves, which will subsequently keep the laptop from falling. In height, it must be at least one third the thickness of the laptop. The slot in the leg for the grip with the prostate should not be in the middle, but at a distance of about 1/3 from the far edge. It also affects the stability of the structure. Bends - at your discretion. The slits in the legs and the passage can be no more than 3-4 cm in height. In width, they can be 3-5 mm, depending on the thickness of the cardboard, but in both parts be the same. Step 3. Cut out the paper templates. We attach the template of 1 detail with the lower cut to the smooth edge of the box chosen as the future stand. It is desirable that the stable parts of the stand were perfectly even (the stand will not swing on the table).
- Carefully stroke the template with one side, thenflip over to the other side and continue to circle. We get one indissoluble symmetric detail (prokhozhka). Only apply parts to smooth parts of the box (pieces of cardboard) where there are no bends.
- On another cardboard (for example, the bottom of the box) we place a paper template of part 2, i.e. leg. We outline and repeat the same a second time. The legs must be exactly the same.
Step 4. Cut out all the details with scissors or stationery knife. Shift them along the slots, as shown in the photo. If everything is combined correctly, then you can be happy that a simple (like all ingenious), functional, strong stand is ready for your digital friend! Install a laptop on it and attach additional keyboards to it, watch movies at a convenient height, sweep crumbs from cookies under the stand - you are now the happy owner of a stand for your own laptop!
Cardboard table layout
We also offer a simple photo-master class desktop of cardboard