Changing old doors to new ones is quite expensive.since the interior doors to the toilet and the bathroom are mostly done in the same style, that is, if you change, then all at once. Therefore, we offer 4 workshops, how to upgrade wooden doors with your own hands with photos and detailed instructions. And not just to paint, but to embody interesting design solutions! The content of the article:
The easiest and easiest update method is to make beautiful geometric stickers on the door. To do this, you need a self-adhesive film, preferably contrasting with the color of the door.
ATTENTION: Only please do not glue the doors completely with a film under the structure of the tree! It looks awful and old fashioned! Better take monophonic film and geometry. You can paste the door with monochrome film for drawing with chalk, it is not cheap, but it looks impressive. And change the inscription every day!
Painting wooden doors
Also this method is not laborious and requires a minimumcosts! You can paint interior doors in absolutely any color! Here we will explain in detail how to do it. But painting requires necessarily removing the door with a hinge. What paint we paint:
- Any for interior and interior woodwork, water and acrylic base - it is absolutely odorless! Alkyd paint is nothing to you!
- Take matte, not glossy. Glossa will emphasize all the irregularities on your surface.
- Paint in a balloon is dangerous because if youpaint the first time, it is unlikely to color exactly !! Also, if you are going to paint right in the apartment, please note that it "flies" in all directions. Therefore, it is better for beginners to start with the usual paint and roller.
What we paint and paint the door:
- Solid and flat doors - only a wide roller! We paint in 2-3 layers with a very thin coating.
- If the doors are with panels, then first we paint all the grooves with a thin brush, and then we already make a full coating with a roller.
Door with patch slats Door with embossedapplied slats looks much more original and more interesting than the usual flat one. Making such changes is quite simple and does not take much time. For money, the cost will be only a little more than just paint, and much cheaper than buying a new door. Necessary materials:
- Door • Wooden slats overlay • Roulette • Long ruler and construction corner • Pencil • Saw
- Stuslo • Liquid nails or other wood glue • Scotch tape
- Paint (white here) • Construction level (optional, but very helpful for checking how smoothly you are installing patch slats)
Step by Step Instruction: Step 1: Paint the door. First you need to repaint the old wooden door in the selected color, in this case white. Leave to dry. Step 2: We plan the location of the strips. Over the dried paint you need to make a marking of fastening of the laid-on wooden planks. To do this, draw a line with a pencil (not pressing hard on it) and a ruler to get perpendicular lines, use the construction corner. In this case, the drawing consists of two rectangles, one above the other.
- In the photo below you can see all the calculations, which show how much to retreat: 5 "(about 13 cm) everywhere except the bottom of the door, where the distance from the edge to the line is 6" (about 15 cm).
- You can make other indents, depending on the size of the door (for example, if you decide to update the doors of the lockers in the same way, you need to retreat clearly less).
Step 3: Cutting the slats Now you need to cut slats of the appropriate size (measure the length of the marked lines). If you do not have the necessary tools at home, you can do it right in the hardware store for a small surcharge. If you do it yourself, then you will need not only a saw, but also a shell to cut the ends of the slats at a 45 degree angle. Step 4: Fasten the brackets Lay all the brackets on the marked lines. Make sure that all of them are the right length and that they evenly converge in the corners.
Note: you can glue already painted strips, or glue, and then paint; You can also not paint the door at the beginning (skip step 1), but do it already with the glued slats. Step 5: We put the door After the glue dries out, you need to carefully peel the adhesive tape off the door, it is better to use masking tape that leaves no traces. Now it is necessary to put already altered door into place and to attach the handle. And everything is ready!
Door with overlay panels
This master class differs from the previous one in that here we will not only fasten the strips, but also fill the inside of the doors with patch panels. Necessary materials:
- Plastic panels (here we do such, but you can and wooden)
- Building level
- Construction glue
- Latex paint
- Painting Scotch
- Hand saw
- Safety glasses and earphones
- Hard putty for plastic
- Putty knife
- Grinding machine (or sandpaper)
Step by Step Instruction: Step 1: Correct the defects of the door. If the door is very old and has some defects that cannot be hidden by painting (for example, the top coating broke off in places, or there are deep scratches), then you first need to remove them and make the surface even.
- To do this, apply wood putty and let it dry,
- After that, level the surface with a grinding machine or sandpaper.
Step 2: We plan the location of the strips. The marking here will be done the same as in the previous case, that is, we retreat 5 "(about 13 cm) everywhere except the bottom of the door, where we leave 6" (about 15 cm). TIP: If there is no long ruler, lines can be applied using a building level. Step 3: Fasten the panel Apply building glue to the back of the plastic panels. Attach the panels on the door and check their position with the level. The sides of the panels should be clearly parallel to the edges of the door. Press the panel so that it is tightly pressed againstthe door and stuck securely. Secure the entire structure around the perimeter with small screws using a screwdriver. Step 4: Fasten the planks Again, you can either trim the planks to the desired size in the store, or do it yourself, using a saw and stuslo. The slats should surround the perimeter panels tightly adjacent to them.
Note: the planks can initially be glued with construction glue, and then fastened with screws. This is what should happen at this stage: Step 5: Paint the door. Now it remains only to paint the door and leave to dry completely. Now compare the door before and after the repair: Surface relief makes the door more stylish and affects the appearance of the entire room as a whole: Do not be afraid to change old things and give them a different look. Give them the opportunity to serve you more, but in a new guise!